Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Week 3



Assignment: To use the original illustration of Lincoln created last week to create three different variations.

Craft: I experimented with other aspects of Adobe Illustrator. I used opacity, different stroke sizes, swatches, and gradient. These all helped to improve the Abraham Licoln variations to bring each one their own style.

Composition:
Modern Lincoln: I used a gradient to create a suite that looked like it had a realistic shading to bring a more modern approach to the portrait. I switched his traditional bowtie for a modern necktie.

Punk rock Lincoln: His suit was changed to just a sports coat. The collared shirt was switched for a mint green t-shirt. The hair is definately an eyecatching part of this illustration. The purple mohawk stands out as the key stereotypical element of this picture that allows the observer to atomatically think punk or rebel.

Happy Lincoln: The subtle uptrun of the lips of this piece give Lincoln a sense of peacefulness and happiness. The other element of this piece that gives the same feeling is the toning down of his skin color and his suit.

Concept: I am torn between putting the modern Lincoln in a newsroom and having him interviewed. But if I were to do this I would want it to seem as though you are watching this on TV, with the little feed that runs across the bottom of the screen and the network logo on the top. If I chose to use the Punk rock Lincoln he would probably be at a rock concert or seen in an old touring poster for his band 'Redefined Rebel'.

No comments:

Post a Comment